BSP Life provides excellent career opportunities and competitive remuneration packages and is committed to continuous training and development of staff
If you feel it is time for a new and exciting challenge, come join BSP Life.
We are looking for a dedicated, focused and experienced:
CHIEF INVESTMENT OFFICER
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for the above position, reporting to the Managing Director, based at the Investment Division on Level 5 BSP Life Centre, Thomson Street, Suva.
As Chief Investment Officer you have responsibility for overseeing BSP Life’s investment portfolio of approximately $850m in various asset categories including private and listed equities, properties, fixed interest securities and mortgage loans. You will also have responsibility over the management of BSP Life’s related company investments (excluding direct property management), the delivery of required returns in line with the company’s strategy, investment mandates, policy framework, and risk appetite.
- Lead the Investment Division’s strategic and tactical planning in consultation with the Managing Director (MD) to achieve business goals, Shareholder and Policyholders investment return expectations.
- Deliver results as required under approved business and strategic plans.
- Act as the advocate for the Investment vision via regular written and in-personcommunica- tions with the Board, Investments Governance Committee, MD BSP Life, Executive team members and related stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain an appropriate investment organisation structure that supports the growth of the investment and property portfolio generating expected returns for the Life Insurance business.
- Develop a team that delivers value added assessment and analysis of both existing and new investment propositions. These include undertaking financial and feasibility studies / analysis towards investment decisions and closely monitoring investments performances and advising on divestment where necessary.
- Represent BSP Life on Boards where there is substantial shareholding interest.
- Supervise recruitment, development, retention and organisation of all Investments Division’s staff in accordance with corporate objectives and the company’s recruitment and selection policies.
- Work with the Appointed Actuary and Chief Financial Officer in the review and recommendation of investment policies and mandates.
- As a member of the Executive team collectively participate in the setting of strategic direction and tactical plans of BSP Life’s businesses.
- Overall responsibility for the Investments Division’s compliance with laws and regulations, internal policies and procedures and implementation of necessary controls to ensure adherence.
- Responsibility for Board reporting and engagement on a quarterly basis; drive projects assigned by the Managing Director as required; and drive the service excellence culture for the Division.
- Enterprise risk owner for risks assigned by Management Risk Committee (MRC) and the Managing Director. Member of the MRC and other delegated management committees.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
- Degree in Business, Finance or related field. A post graduate qualification in a business-related field will be an advantage.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a similar senior level management role.
- Advanced financial and investment analysis skills.
- Proven People Management and relationship management experience.
- Good knowledge of Investments related Legislation.
- Proven knowledge of the local investment market and financial services industry.
- Advanced knowledge of investments risk management.
- Good knowledge of offshore investments.
- Successful management of a business will be an added advantage.
- Proven ability to network with key investment stakeholders in commerce, industry and government.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large and complex investments projects.
- Possess a culture of risk management within the Investments environment and incorporate risk.
- Business Transformation
- Leadership (Visionary)
- Customer “Centricity”
- Leading Others
- Quality Focus