General Manager, Energy – Department of Energy
- Government of Tokelau
JOB DESCRIPTION & SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
Tokelau is a self-administering territory of New Zealand lies approximately 500km north of Samoa.The Population Count conducted in Dec, 2019, recorded a population of 1,647. In 2013, Tokelau became the first country in the world to rely 100% on solar energy.
To continue the Tokelau Vision for a “Clean, Affordable and Sustainable energy source”, we invite applications from suitably qualified and experienced applicants to the position of General Manager, Energy (GM, Energy) – Tokelau Government. The GM, Energy is to lead, manage and oversee the Department of Energy operation, and implement the Tokelau Energy Strategy. The successful candidate MUST have the relevant expertise to explore suitable technologies to address future energy needs of small and isolated places like Tokelau.
The main duties and responsibilities of this position are:
- Manage and improve the energy management structure to meet the needs of Tokelau
- Ensure the local energy structure and assets are sustainably managed in a way to support the infrastructure of Tokelau
- Provide strong leadership to existing personnel for enhancement of their skills, and support for continuing development
- Provide advisory support to the Government on matters pertaining to the energy sector
The Energy sector in Tokelau is currently going through some extensive infrastructure developments and the successful Applicant must be able to quickly get up to speed with these projects and lead them to successful outcomes. The required skills and experience include:
- Energy sector expertise – having a depth and breadth of energy sector expertise that includes experience with integrated renewable energy systems, energy efficiency, and associated energy sector regulation, policy and planning.
- Project management, contract management and commercial expertise – having expertise with managing the delivery of major energy and/or infrastructure projects, including experience with construction contracts.
- Pacific and development experience – having experience in a Pacific and development context, including an understanding of the practical and logistical challenges associate with the delivery of projects in remote locations.
- Relationship management expertise – having expertise in managing relationships with multiple stakeholders, including being able to demonstrate excellent leadership, communication and influencing skills to progress complex and complicated issues.
- Awareness of Tokelau culture and willingness to relocate to Tokelau.
The successful applicant will be employed on fixed 3-year contract. The position offers an attractive remuneration package relevant to the skills and experience of the applicant. Accommodation will be made available subject to HR policy. Relocation assistance is available at the beginning and ending of contract
- Job Application Details The position is based on Fakaofo, Tokelau. For interested and suitably qualified applicants, please submit the following requirements to the address below by Friday, 1 st April, 2022 no later than 4.30pm: i) Application letter detailing a self-assessment against the experience and skills required for the job; ii) Updated Curriculum Vitae; and iii) Three (3) recently written references from professional referees with valid contact details. Please contact [email protected] for a copy of the job description if required. Tokelau Public Service Commission C/- Human Resources Manager Office of the Tokelau Public Service Commission P.O. Box 3298 Tokelau Apia Liaison Office Apia, SAMOA Email: [email protected]