Policy Adviser (Strategic Policy)
- Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat
JOB DESCRIPTION & SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
The Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat (Forum Secretariat) is the region’s premier political and economic policy organisation, with a vision of helping to create a region of peace, harmony, security, social inclusion and prosperity, so that all Pacific people can lead free, healthy, and productive lives.
The international organisation works to achieve this vision by fostering cooperation between governments, collaboration with international agencies, and by representing the interests of its members – including directly engaging with community members in order to identify pressing needs of the region.
The work of the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat (PIFS) is guided by the Framework for Pacific Regionalism (FPR) as:
The expression of a common sense of identity and purpose, leading progressively to the sharing of institutions, resources, and markets, with the purpose of complimenting national efforts, overcoming common constraints, and embracing sustainable and inclusive development within Pacific countries and territories and for the Pacific region as a whole.
The FPR is underpinned by the Blue Pacific narrative, endorsed by Forum Leaders in Samoa in 2017, which calls for a long-term regional commitment to act as one “Blue Continent” as the means to achieve its development aspirations. The Leaders vision was that it would serve as the platform to reinforce and inspire the region in its shared stewardship of the Pacific Ocean, and to reaffirm the connections of Pacific peoples with their natural resources, environment, culture and livelihoods.
PIFS is an Employer of Choice in the region, aiming to recruit and employ staff based on merit and organisational needs, and ensures that employment selection upholds its values and commitment to Forum membership, gender balance and building a diverse and inclusive organisation. PIFS is committed to achieving gender balance and being fully representative of our member countries. Our workforce is currently over 50% female and we have representatives from twelve of the eighteen Forum member countries.
To achieve greater workforce representation from our member countries we strongly encourage applicants from the following countries to apply: Federated States of Micronesia, French Polynesia, Nauru, Niue, New Caledonia and Palau.
The Forum Secretariat is looking for a Policy Adviser (Strategic Policy) to join the team and based in Suva. This position reports to the Director Policy, this role is to advise and prepare timely, high-quality advice on issues which impact our region.
To facilitate the above, the incumbent will be responsible for:
- Monitoring and assessing global and regional issues;
- Pacific Regionalism Overview, Analysis and Advice; and
- Leading, participating and/or coordinating regional processes.
The Secretariat seeks a strategic and proficient individual with an advanced university degree in either International Relations, Development Studies, Political Science, or other relevant degree. At least 7 – 10 years’ experience providing high quality advice in progressively senior roles with a deep knowledge of political, economic, security and social issues relevant to Forum members.
The appointment carries a competitive remuneration and benefits package including medical and life insurance. The starting salary will be in the range of SDR 37,373 to SDR43,143 per annum. At the 1 January 2022 exchange rate this salary range was equivalent to FJD111,295 to FJD128,478. For non-Fijian nationals, this salary may be tax-free. To be eligible for this position, applicants must be nationals of Forum member countries*. Applicants must be willing to travel periodically via economy class.
- Job Application Details Interested applicants are encouraged to apply through our website: www.forumsec.org where an information package containing the job description and remuneration details is also available. Candidates must include in either their application or Curriculum Vitae the full contact details of three referees. The Forum Secretariat is an Equal Opportunity Employer. * Member States of the Pacific Islands Forum: Australia, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia, Kiribati, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu. JOB FUNCTIONS Programme & Project Management JOB OPEN TO: Fiji Residents Only, Overseas/ Non Fiji Residents