Announcement: Employment Opportunity
Project Officer: Tobacco Control Advocacy and Enforcement
The World Health Organization (WHO) is seeking a qualified individual to serve as a project officer for tobacco control in Fiji. The successful applicant will be assigned to the WHO Representative/Division of Pacific Technical Support office in Suva, Fiji and the Fiji Ministry of Health and Medical Services (MOHMS).
To support the MOHMS to:
- organize and facilitate tobacco control and related trainings, workshops, and activities (including those related to the Fiji FCTC2030 Project) and prepare necessary documentations;
- develop and implement research projects, field surveys and public participatory exercises to provide evidence in support of effective tobacco control activities and strategies;
- facilitate data collation for national, regional and global reporting requirements related to tobacco control;
- develop and implement a strategic communication plan for tobacco control;
- develop and refine plans relating to tobacco control guided by the WHO FCTC and Protocol to Eliminate Illicit Trade of Tobacco Products;
- Provide regular updates to the MoHMS and WHO regarding progress and status of workplan implementation; and
- Support and implementation of any additional duties as identified by the supervisor(s).
Subject to the agreement of both parties, these terms of reference may be modified from time to time, as required in the interest of the project/activity.
The signatory will primarily work under the direction of and will report to the Team Leader of the Pacific Noncommunicable Diseases and Health through the Life Course and report technically to the Chief Health Inspector of Environmental Health under the Fiji Ministry of Health and Medical Services.
Experience and skill requirements and preferences:
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, environmental health or related field
- Experience in public health research and legal matters would be an advantage
- Strong written communication and public speaking skills and experience with varied audiences
- Experience working in the Fiji Ministry of Health and Medical Services or health sector preferred
- Experience in NCD prevention, environmental health, and/or tobacco control enforcement preferred
- Experience working with non-governmental and development partner organizations preferred
- Ability to develop his/her detailed work plan and be a self-starter
Details of the proposed position:
- Salary for this position will be based on qualifications and experience in line with approved Fijian Government Salary Bands
- Duration of position: Until 30th June 2022 (with possible extension)
- The person will be provided office space and necessary office equipment in the Ministry of Health and Medical Services
Timing of Appointment:
This vacancy announcement will close on 17 November 2021 at 5pm Fiji-time. A qualified individual is sought to begin immediately.
Job Application Details
Applicants interested in interviewing for this position should submit a cover letter and resume/CV by e-mail to the following address:
Pacific NCD and Health through the Life-course Unit
World Health Organization
Office of the WHO Representative, Division of Pacific Technical Support
P.O. Box 113 Suva, Fiji
Email : [email protected]
Please say that you got this job advertisement through Jobs Fiji