Technical Data Assistant
- Pacific Community
- Suva, Fiji
JOB DESCRIPTION & SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- Suva-based position (Fiji)
- Friendly and supportive team environment
- Join the principal development organisation in the Pacific region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 27 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 20 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Geoscience Energy and Maritime Division provides advice, technical assistance, research and training support to Pacific Island countries and territories (PICTs). There are three (3) areas of scientific programming and two areas of focus within this division:
- Oceans and Maritime Programme (OMP) – assists member countries with services that provide applied ocean science and knowledge for evidence-based policy-making and technical solutions for improved ocean and maritime governance, management and capacity development.
- Georesources and Energy Programme (GEP) – assists member countries by applying technical knowledge in the areas of geoscience and sustainable energy use.
- Disaster and Community Resilience Programme (DCRP) – assists member countries to demonstrate strengthened resilience through integrated action on disaster risk management, climate change adaptation, natural resource management and increased access to water and sanitation.
The other two focus areas within this division are Programming and Operations, which is responsible for driving integrated programming excellence and operational support across the division, and Geoinformatics, which is responsible for providing diverse, integrated, and unique and demand-driven information and spatial data services across SPC work programmes, projects and countries.
The Technical Data Assistant will be under the supervision of the Survey Team Leader, this role will be required to support the Survey Team leader role in all activities related to data collection and the updating of respective hazard and exposure data in countries. This will include (but not limited to) supporting regional and national training activities, digitizing building and infrastructure footprints, uploading data, supporting countries in trouble shooting issues during their field survey, assisting in data quality control process and documenting lessons learnt.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Provide overall support to the Survey Team Leader and PCRAFI National Coordinators in the data collection of risk related data in PCRAFI focus countries
- Support the implementation of training and capacity building of survey and data management
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the job description provided.
Key selection criteria
- A degree in GIS/RS and other relevant subjects or equivalent work experience
Knowledge and experience
- At least 3 years’ experience in GIS/RS, preferably in disaster risk management
- Demonstrated experience in data collection survey and location
- Ability to undertake field survey
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to think on their feet
- Sound GIS survey skills
- Demonstrated capacity to work in a team of people from different technical skills and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Ability to solve and prioritize tasks.
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – Until 18 February 2023
Remuneration – The Technical Data Assistant is Band 7 position in SPC’s 2022 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of 2,232-2,790 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilingualism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will be given to the Pacific Islander.
- Job Application Details Application procedure https://myjobsfiji.com/job/23328/technical-data-assistant/