OurFish OurFuture Project Communications Specialist
- University of Rhode Island –USAID OurFish OurFuture Project
- Suva, Fiji
JOB DESCRIPTION & SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
OurFish OurFuture Project Communications Specialist
Overview/why work with us
The five-year OurFish OurFuture Project is funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The Communications Specialist will lead the development of a Strategic Micronesia and Melanesia Communications Plan to effectively communicate the Project’s overall mission, vision, and messaging to key audiences. The Communications Specialist will be based in the Suva office and effectively coordinate the Project’s Communications Strategy across non-headquarter field offices and among implementing partners: World Wildlife Fund (WWF), LMMA Network, and The University of the South Pacific (USP).
The position reports directly to the OurFish OurFuture Chief of Party (CoP) and works closely with implementing partner field staff in Palau, the FSM, the RMI, PNG, the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, and Fiji to ensure fulfillment of all USAID requirements related to Project reporting and messaging. The Communications Specialist will work with and supervise work of implementing partners also involved in communication tasks and coordinate closely with key stakeholders to ensure Project initiatives and milestones are promoted impactfully.
OurFish OurFuture Chief of Party (CoP)
OurFish Our Future Deputy Chief of Party (DCoP), partner field staff, ECOP Facilitators in Micronesia and Melanesia, partner communications staff, CRC Communications Specialist, and OurFish OurFuture Strategic Communications Consultant
- Ensure that protocols for branding and documentation for the Project and all implementing partners are adhered to and that all partner generated reports are submitted using standardized program templates and in formats that facilitate final production and 508 compliance.
- Assist the CoP in the submission of timely and regular progress reports in the form of work plans, quarterly and annual reports.
- In coordination with the CRC Communications Specialist, lead the final production of technical reports, special reports, factsheets, brochures, and other communications items.
- Develop and ensure the timely submission of Project “Success Stories.” These are traditionally one to three-page success stories that will be used for USAID’s communication needs, including speechwriting, newsletters, media interviews and public outreach.
- Lead production of video and audio clips on success stories or any other major project events that can highlight the Project activities to a broader audience.
- Advertise Project meetings, promote events and update social media content.
- Coordinate creation and production of Project branded materials (logos, letterhead, business cards, folders, envelopes, brochures, etc.).
- Prepare and submit to USAID ‘weekly bullets’ of implementation progress and/or achievements throughout the year.
- Develop and disseminate a series of carefully coordinated national and regional Policy Campaigns.
- Serve as mentor and liaison to implementing partners regarding work plan communication products.
- Serve as main communications liaison with USAID’s communications team.
- Work with OurFish OurFuture Strategic Communications Consultant to develop Strategic Communications Plan.
- Support local partners in the design and implementation of behavior change communications activities, including the development of key messages and diverse delivery methods.
- Required: Undergraduate degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or closely related degree.
- Preferred: Master’s degree in Communications Journalism, Public Relations, or closely related degree.
- Minimum five years’ experience in communications strategy development, including, but not limited to: identifying targeted audiences (from policy makers to community resource owners) and appropriate media to reach those audiences, implementing a marketing and dissemination plan, developing behavior change communications programs, and measuring results of overall communications campaigns.
- USAID and/or non-profit Project based experience preferred.
REQUIRED, DEMONSTRATED Qualifications:
- Editing of Public Information
- Public relations
- Computer technology (i.e., equipment, software, website, internet)
- Social media and email marketing platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Mailchimp, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Microsoft Suite, WordPress, Adobe Pagemaker and Acrobat
- Ability to produce professional quality, camera-ready data, and graphics
- Strong public speaking and facilitation skills
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to collaborate well with stakeholders, including but not limited to, technical and administrative staff, donors, news media, vendors, officials, and other professionals
- Ability to creatively approach communication challenges
- Ability to work with diverse groups/populations
- Initiative-taker with demonstrated experience working with minimum supervision
- 508 Compliant document productions
- Resident or citizen of Fiji
- Strong drive and proven ability to meet tight deadlines
JOB OPEN TO:
- Job Application Details How to Apply: To apply please email all the following, in order, in one single PDF file to [email protected] and [email protected], use Subject Line " Communications Specialist Application": Cover letter Resume or CV Three professional references with contact details This search is open to Fijian citizens until filled. This Project follows US Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity laws and does not discriminate in consideration or hiring of individuals.