Finance Associate , GS6
- Suva, Fiji
JOB DESCRIPTION & SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, an Opportunity
UNICEF works with and for disadvantaged children and adolescents across 14 Pacific Island Countries and Territories. Our ambition is to get each entire country, and the entire Pacific Region, working together – as one – on behalf of its most vulnerable children. Explore the different areas of our work in the link provided here https://www.unicef.org/pacificislands/what-we-do
How can you make a difference?
Under the direct supervision of the Administration and Finance Officer, the Finance Associate, GS6 will provide a variety of specialized tasks in finance functions, ensuring accurate and timely delivery that is in compliance with UNICEF financial rules and regulations, whilst demonstrating the capacity to research, adapt and evaluate irregular cases, and also to recommend improvements to process delivery and design.
A summary of these key functions are list below;
- Maintenance of financial records and monitoring systems.
- Review data from a wide variety of documents, verifying accuracy by checking sources, making necessary calculations and assuring inclusion of all relevant data
- Prepare recurring reports as schedules and special reports, as required
- Advises and assists staff, experts and consultants on all aspects of allowances, salary advances, travel claims and other financial matters, and calculates and authorizes payments due for claims and services including updates on new financial policies.
- Initiates correspondence to verify data, answers queries and obtains additional information on accounts and financial transactions, as required.
- Maintains liaisons with officials of local banks where UNICEF Pacific holds accounts.
- Prepares detailed cost estimates, and participates in budget analysis and projects, as required.
- Support monitoring of HACT implementation
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Education: Completion of secondary education is required with professional/university level courses in Accounting and Finance/Business administration considered as an asset.
Experience: A minimum of six years of clerical experience in the area of finance and accounting is required. Experience with SAP considered an asset. UN experience considered an asset.
Language: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are….
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Job Application Details http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf