Delegation of the European Union for the Pacific
The Delegation of the European Union to Fiji, based in Suva, has a vacant post of Policy Officer to offer.
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The Delegation of the EU for the Pacific promotes the local projection of an image of the European Union that correctly reflects facts, policies, statements and decisions taken by the EU and oversees the implementation of EU development projects and programmes in the Pacific region.
We offer a post of Policy Officer. The recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Policy Officer. This job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this job function the successful candidate will serve as technical and support staff to the Political, Press and Information section under the supervision of the Head of Section.
Summary of main tasks:
Monitor, analyse and report, regularly and in a timely fashion, as well as on request, on all developments in the Pacific region with relevance for EU interests, policies and cooperation. This includes in particular:
- Tracking and analysing all relevant developments in the respective Pacific states’ internal and foreign policies as well as trade-related issues;
- Analysing and reporting on the influence of policy changes or developments in the respective countries (democracy and governance, rule of law and human rights, trade policy, cooperation etc.) on the bilateral relations with the EU;
- Follow and analyse the impact of and responses to EU policy and steps related to the Pacific region.
Representation and participation:
- Maintain close working relations with relevant ministries’ counterparts, parliaments, governmental agencies, civil society, think-tanks, international and regional organisations, etc.
- Assist in organising public diplomacy activities;
- Prepare and assist in missions from Headquarters as well as in organising missions on political issues to the countries of the region.
The EU Delegation’s size is +/- 60 staff (gender balanced team). The place of employment is Suva. The length of the working week shall not exceed the limits of 40 hours per week. Exceptions may be allowed as required by the service, in accordance with the relevant Fiji legislations. The post is a Local Agent Group 1. It is a permanent contract, after the successful completion of a 3 month probationary period, with a minimum starting basic salary of FJD 4,698 per month (paid 13 times per annum).
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
- A clean police record and should be able to produce a clearance report when requested;
- Has a University degree of at least 4 years in political science, European studies, international relations, international law or economics or equivalent;
- At least 3 years of professional experience in the field of political analysis or related to policy making;
- Experience in working in an international environment;
- Have good understanding of the EU engagement in the Pacific and good understanding of the functioning of the European Union;
- Must have a strong sense of responsibility and initiative and be accurate while respecting deadlines;
- Able to work independently and/or as a team member in a multicultural environment;
- Has an excellent command of English and good knowledge of French;
- Advanced computer literacy.
The following will be considered an asset:
- Have good knowledge of both the EU foreign policy and policies of the respective countries of the Pacific region;
- Have good knowledge of regional processes and cooperation, as well as cross-cutting issues (e.g. climate change, human rights, gender etc.) and trade and economic issues.
- Have a good knowledge of the functioning of foreign missions/embassies.
- Have a good understanding of public diplomacy and organisation of international events;
- Have good drafting, communication and analytical skills combined with sound judgement.
- Ability to build positive and co-operative working relationships with colleagues and management;
- Discretion and confidentiality;
- Ability to work under pressure and respond quickly to changes;
- Ability to analyse and solve problems;
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, particularly on specialised information;
- Clear and precise drafting skills;
- Ability to work in a tem and be open to cultural diversity;
- Ability to listen, to consult and to share information and ideas;
- Capacity to focus on priorities and to organise work to deliver on time;
- Accuracy and an eye for detail.
Interested candidates must consult our website for full advertisement and detailed explanation of the application procedure at: https://www.eeas.europa.eu/delegations/fiji/policy-officer
Deadline for applications is: Wednesday 22 June 2022 at 5pm. Only applications received via e-mail and complying with the instructions laid
out on our website will be considered.
Job Application Details
HOW TO APPLY?
Please send your application and supporting documents to: [email protected] .
The subject of the e-mail must indicate: "Application post Policy Officer + NAME OF APPLICANT". E-mail with a different subject will not be considered. Applications sent by other means will not be considered either.
The email must include a motivation letter and a completed CV (EU standard CV recommended, available at: https://europa.eu/europass/eportfolio/screen/cv-editor?lang=en),
together with your academic qualification certificates and references of past experience (letters of recommendation, employment certificates, copies of contracts, etc.).
Applications will be screened based on eligibility and selection criteria in accordance with the requirements above.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone. Please address any queries concerning this procedure to: [email protected]
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase which may include an interview if necessary – during this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
Please say that you got this job advertisement through Jobs Fiji