The role is required to develop policies, oversee compliance and provide technical advice to facilitate the development of the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) sector. The position reports to the Principal Engineer and provides advice and support and implements the Department of Communication activities in line with the 5 and 20 Year National Development Plan and the 2011 National Broadband Policy in accordance with relevant policies, legislation and regulations to maintain Fiji’s position as the regional ICT hub. Some of the key objectives, the position needs to assist in is to improve overall telecommunications infrastructure, provide equal access to ICT, expand the outreach of the Government Community Telecentres, provide coordination and communication during disasters, strengthen regulatory framework, improve policies and processes and Support the installation, operation and maintenance of adequate national/regional Early Warning Systems (EWSs) and forecasting infrastructure for hydro meteorological events (such as tropical cyclones, floods, etc.) and programmes for both monitoring on-going hazards and building resilience for the future.
The position will achieve its purpose through the following:
1. Assist in developing policies and procedures to facilitate the development of the ICT and telecommunications sector;
2. Assist in the review of legislation, policies and ICT and telecommunications statistics and identify new areas for policy development in light of international developments and best practices;
3. Keeping up to date on the latest innovation, emerging technology and development in the industry and advise the management on areas of opportunities;
4. Participate in global organisations supporting the development of telecommunications services, for example Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation, International Telecommunications Union, Asia Pacific Telecommunity, Pacific Islands Telecommunications Association, etc;
5. Assist in ensuring successful deployment of projects identified by Ministry such as the Digital Television Project, implementation of the SXNEXT Project, Savusavu Cable Landing Station, Connectivity Rollout Project and Connecting the Unconnected Project;
6. Implementation of the targets outlined in the National Cybersecurity Strategy;
7. Oversee the review and development of engineering plans related to spectrum management, in particular the National Frequency Allocation Table, amendments to existing spectrum band plans for microwave linking, mobile broadband services and mobile cellular services;
8. Assist in overseeing the implementation of the Universal Access Programme, through the selection of efficient and cost-effective solutions, in consultation with TAF;
9. Any other duties assigned by the Permanent Secretary.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
Performance will be measured through the following indicators:
1. Formulation and submission of policy and technical advice within agreed timelines;
2. Establish and maintain effective key stakeholder relationships;
3. Implementation and Management of National Frequency Allocation Table and assignment of Radio Frequency allocations within the identified timeframes;
4. Ensure effective establishment, operations, maintenance and deployment to Government Community Telecentres;
5. Ensure successful deployment of projects identified by the Ministry including the implementation and management of the SXNEXT Project, Savusavu Cable Landing Station, Connectivity Rollout Project and Connecting the Unconnected Projects;
6. Monitoring of TAF and Walesi performance in accordance with their agreed KPIs;
7. Review and implementation of the National Cybersecurity Strategy;
8. Keeping up to date on the latest development in the ICT and Telecommunications industry and advice the management on areas of opportunities;
In addition to a Degree in Engineering/Technology in Telecommunications, ICT or Electronics the following knowledge, experience, skills and abilities are required to successfully undertake this role:
Knowledge and Experience
1. At least 3 years’ experience in delivering and achieving the core functions of the organisation;
2. Relevant experience and practical, working knowledge in all aspects of ICT i.e. engineering, spectrum management, policy and related technologies is an added advantage;
3. Good knowledge and understanding of Project Management methodologies and experience managing technical projects and familiarity with ICT industry standards;
4. Knowledge and experience maintaining effective working relationships with stakeholders;
5. Practical, working knowledge in all aspects of communication i.e. technical/policy related and technology.
Skills and Abilities
1. Strong oral and written communication skills;
2. Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
3. Must be customer oriented;
4. Demonstrated ability to work as a Team;
5. Effective time management skills;
6. Good leadership and team building skills.
Applicants for employment in the Ministry of Communications must be Fijian Citizens, below the age of 55, be of sound health, fully vaccinated and with a clear police record. The successful applicant will be required to provide a medical certificate and police clearance as a condition of employment.
The Ministry of Communications is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applicants are encouraged from all eligible and qualified applicants. Applicants highly assessed as having specific knowledge, experience, skills and abilities required for the job will be considered.
Please refer to the attached role description for details of the interested position.
• Eligibility criteria for all applicants;
• Information on what to submit as your application;
• Information on how to submit your application, and how receipt of your application will be confirmed;
• Key Dates for the application and selection process;
• An application form for completion by all applicants;
• A Declaration and Authorisation form for completion by all applicants;
• Role Description.
Fijian Civil Servants are required to uphold the Civil Service Values and Code of Conduct. These values set out the behaviour expected of all Fijian Civil Servants in the work that they do.
All applicants for employment in the Ministry of Communications must meet the following criteria:
• Must be a Fijian Citizen;
• Must have a clear police record (Employment shall be subject to confirmation of a clear police record);
• Be in good health and able to undertake the requirements of the position (Employment shall be subject to a medical clearance);
• Be fully vaccinated.
- Job Application Details How to apply and what to submit with your application? We strongly recommend that you refer to the role description at the end of this Application Package. This document sets out the level of duties, the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the job. Your CV should illustrate your past experience that relates to the position you are applying for. To ensure that your application is given due consideration, we request that you submit the following to [email protected] • Your completed application form; (below) • Your Declaration and Authorisation form; (below) • A full curriculum vitae, highlighting your past experience that is relevant to the role/s you are applying for. Please keep your CV to no more than 3 pages in length. We do not require written referee reports, or qualifications to be submitted with your application at this stage. These will be verified as required later in the process. Alternatively, you can hand deliver your completed application at Ground Floor, New Wing, Government Buildings, Suva.