WASH Specialist – Pacific (Fiji, Samoa, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands)
- Field Ready
- Lot 1 Foster Road (Old TFL Yard)- Walu Bay, Suva Fiji Islands.
JOB DESCRIPTION & SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
Field Ready is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Under the guidance of the Programme Manager Pacific, he/she will support the technical team in the designing of appropriate WASH products, distribution, and installation of WASH items through implementing partners to ensure best practice WASH implementation; provide feedback and recommendations for improvements of products and distribution/installation of WASH projects in Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, and Samoa.
In addition, the WASH Specialist will specifically focus on addressing water and sanitation needs at the community level through WASH assessments and WASH meetings. The WASH Specialist will support the Program Manager and Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL Lead) in the formulation, design, planning, implementation, monitoring, data collection, and evaluation of the WASH Program. The WASH Specialist will play a key role in representing Field Ready at key WASH meetings and will liaise with UNICEF, the Ministry of Health, local manufacturers, and the Ministry of Environment (or it’s equivalent), including assisting liaison on behalf of Field Ready with the National Disaster Management Office (NDMO), Ministry of Health, Water Authorities, UN agencies as well as various NGO partners.
The Wash Specialist will also assist in providing training to community members on the usage of WASH items (Hygiene, etc.) e.g.– Latrines, handwashing stations, Foot-operated taps, push taps, and more.
WASH Specialist Roles and Responsibilities
- Advising the WASH team in the water, sanitation, and hygiene promotion programming, in broad coordination with other sectors.
- Ensuring quality and integrity of implementation, including adherence to technical guidelines, especially in WASH.
- Identifying and addressing staff capacity-building opportunities in WASH.
- Advising on mainstreaming gender, protection, and DRR in WASH projects and program activities.
- Assisting in the preparation of the WASH data and reporting.
- Assist in analyzing the baseline study data to determine the underlining needs of the beneficiaries.
- Undertaking staff capacity building in the use of mapping tools.
- Contributing to contingency planning for possible WASH emergency response if required.
- Assist in contributing to the preparation of internal and external reports for the NGO and donors, including expenditure plans and situation reports.
- Representing the organization externally in WASH events.
- Assist the Program Coordinator Pacific in collaboration and coordination with government, NGOs, and UN agencies on WASH issues at the community level.
- Ensuring that all relevant stakeholders have information about the organization’s background, program, objectives, working areas, duration of programs, and activities in the field.
Qualification and skills required:
- Degree in Engineering, Water & Sanitation or Environmental Science or equivalent technical qualifications and work experience.
- Experience in implementing WASH projects in community development or public health or humanitarian sectors
- Experience dealing with sensitive topics and an appreciation for how these issues are dealt with in different cultural contexts
- Training in gender issues would be an asset
- Experience in cross-cultural settings would be an asset
- Prior overseas experience would be an asset
- Be able to speak and understand the Fijian or I-Taukei language and culture
- Samoan and Pidgin language would be an added advantage
- Job Application Details Applications consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to [email protected] To ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the title and location of the post in the subject line of your e-mail/application.